Tuesday, April 14, 2015

How to challenge your property Assessment

Property Assessment Challenge Process

This is the time of the year when property assessments will begin to come out.

A property owner would have to contact the municipal assessor for the current assessment unless the assessment has changed from the prior year. Then a notice is to be mailed out indicating the amount of the changed assessment and the time, date, and place of the Board of Review (BOR) meeting (or meeting of the Board of Assessors (BOA) if one exists) meeting. The notice includes information on how to appeal the assessment. Current year assessments are typically available before the second Monday in May.

The Department of Revenue also has an online calendar that provides each municipality's Board of Review (BOR) and Open Book information. Go to http://www.revenue.wi.gov/municipalities/bor-calendar.html and then click on Inquiry for 2015 under the Property Owners heading for local information.

For additional information regarding property tax appeals, see the Property Assessment Appeal Guide for Wisconsin Real Property Owners at http://www.revenue.wi.gov/pubs/slf/pb055.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment